Sulphur Hexafluoride (SF6)
Sulphur Hexafluoride (SF6) is an inorganic, colourless, odourless, non-flammable, extremely potent greenhouse gas, and an excellent electrical insulator. SF6 has an octahedral geometry, consisting of six fluorine atoms attached to a central sulphur atom. It is a hypervalent molecule. Typically for a non-polar gas, it is poorly soluble in water but quite soluble in non-polar organic solvents. It is generally transported as a liquefied compressed gas.
- Available from A‑Gas - find your local distributor for further details
- Store cylinders in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area, out of direct sunlight
- SF6 allows simplified design of high and medium voltage switchgears because of size and weight reduction, quiet and reliable handling, and maintenance
- The emission of one kilogram of SF6 can be expressed as equivalent to 23.5kg CO2 emissions (=38 car emissions per year)
- Empty cylinders are to be returned to A‑Gas
- For alternative or larger package sizes please contact A‑Gas on 1800 002 427 or via the Contact Us form
*Electrical engineering, semi-conductor industry, medical technology, high-voltage switchgear and switching stations, transformers
Product Features and Benefits
- An inorganic, colourless, odourless, non-flammable, non-toxic, insulating and cooling gas of high dielectric strength and thermal stability
- It is particularly suitable for application in both high and medium-voltage power circuit breakers as well as in high-voltage cables, transformers, transducers, x-ray equipment and UHF transmission systems
The information contained within this website is for guidance only - for further system-specific advice please contact us directly.