Sulphur Hexafluoride (SF6)
Sulphur Hexafluoride (SF6) is an inorganic, colourless, odourless, non-flammable, extremely potent greenhouse gas, and an excellent electrical insulator. SF6 has an octahedral geometry, consisting of six fluorine atoms attached to a central sulphur atom. It is a hypervalent molecule. Typical for a nonpolar gas, it is poorly soluble in water but quite soluble in nonpolar organic solvents. It is generally transported as a liquefied compressed gas.
- Available from A‑Gas.
- Store cylinders in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area, out of direct sunlight
- SF6 allows simplified design of high and medium voltage switchgears because of size and weight reduction, quiet and reliable handling, and maintenance.
- The emission of one kilogram of SF6 is in terms of share of the greenhouse effect is equal to 23.500 kg CO2 emissions. (=38 car emissions /yr.).
- Empty cylinders are to be returned to A‑Gas
- For alternative or larger package sizes please contact A‑Gas on 1800 002 427 or via the Contact Us form
*Electrical engineering, semi-conductor industry, medical technology, high-voltage switchgear and switching stations, transformers.
Product Features and Benefits
- An inorganic, colourless, odourless, non-flammable, non-toxic, insulating and cooling gas of high dielectric strength and thermal stability. It is particularly suitable for application in both hi-voltage and medium-voltage power circuit breakers as well as in high voltage cables, transformers, transducers, x-ray equipment and UHF transmission systems.
The information contained within this website is for guidance only, for further system specific advice please call A‑Gas directly.